The Danish History, Books I-IX
Saxo Grammaticus ("Saxo the Learned")
fl. Late 12th - Early 13th Century A.D.
Online Medieval and Classical Library Release #28bOriginally written in Latin in the early years of the 13th Century A.D. by the Danish historian Saxo, of whom little is known except his name.
The text of this edition is based on that published as "The Nine Books of the Danish History of Saxo Grammaticus", translated by Oliver Elton (Norroena Society, New York, 1905). This edition is in the PUBLIC DOMAIN in the United States.
This electronic edition was edited, proofed, and prepared by Douglas B. Killings (DeTroyes@EnterAct.COM), April 1997.
| Preparer's Note |
- The Danish History of Saxo Grammaticus: Preface
- Book One
- Book Two
- Book Three
- Book Four
- Book Five
- Book Six
- Book Seven
- Book Eight
- Book Nine
The preparer would like to thank Mr. James W. Marchand and Mr. Jessie D. Hurlbut for their invaluable assistance in the production of this electronic text. Thank you. I am indebted to you both.
Although Saxo wrote 16 books of his "Danish History", only the first nine were ever translated by Mr. Oliver Elton; it is these nine books that are here included. As far as the preparer knows, there is (unfortunately) no public domain English translation of Books X-XVI. Those interested in the latter books should search for the translation mentioned below.
- ORIGINAL TEXT --
- Olrik, J and Raeder (Ed.): "Saxo Grammaticus: Gesta Danorum" (Copenhagen, 1931).
- Dansk Nationallitteraert Arkiv: "Saxo Grammaticus: Gesta Danorum" (DNA, Copenhagen, 1996). Web-based Latin edition of Saxo, substantiallly based on the above edition; currently at the following URL: http://www.kb.dk/elib/lit/dan/authors/saxo/
- OTHER TRANSLATIONS --
- Fisher, Peter (Trans.) and Hilda Ellis Davidson (Ed.): "Saxo Grammaticus: History of the Danes" (Brewer, Cambridge, 1979).
Christiansen, Eric (Trans.). "Danorum regum heroumque historia : books x-xvi : the text of the first edition with translation and commentary in three volumes". Oxford, England : B.A.R., 1980. Series title: BAR international series ; 84-.
- RECOMMENDED READING --
- Jones, Gwyn: "History of the Vikings" (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1968, 1973, 1984).
- Sturluson, Snorri: "The Heimskringla" (Translation: Samual Laing, London, 1844; released as Online Medieval and Classical Library E-text 15, 1996).